Senior Email Marketing Executive
Dennis is one of the most dynamic media organisations, operating in the UK and US markets. Its portfolio of over 30 brands, operates in four areas of excellence: Current Affairs, Technology, Automotive and Lifestyle, reaching over 50 million unique users and selling over 2.5million magazines every month.
Dennis has transformed its approach from its traditional print publishing roots to a multi-platform publishing and ecommerce business spanning both the UK and US, and hosts titles such as The Week, Autoexpress and Kiplinger.
Reporting directly to the Global CRM Manager, this position is a newly created role designed to deliver first class customer centric email marketing strategy and delivery for our US titles. Dennis has launched a digital growth programme in its pursuit of a diversified revenue portfolio with a significant focus on increasing and enriching first party data sets and utilising new and existing digital products and services to generate new recurring reader revenues. This role is central to delivering against new targets around optimal customer engagement and experience, with a particular focus on the email marketing channel.
The Senior Email Marketing Executive/Manager is responsible for creating first class email campaigns, monitoring email quality, segmentation and ensuring customer journeys are optimised to deliver the best user experience and conversion possible via the email marketing channel. The Senior Email Marketing Executive/Manager will have a strong customer focus, be able to tackle a wide variety of tasks with flexibility, be passionate about the digital and CRM landscape and enjoy working closely and supporting colleagues.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day management and planning of our US email marketing activity and schedule building and launching our planned acquisition, retention, and customer service email communications;
- Establish email marketing automation programmes for selected titles, reviewing briefs and creating viable solutions for stakeholders to review and sign off;
- Collaborate with the Senior Brand Manager, US to source all assets required for planned email activity including but not limited to creative, tracking links, and copy. Share insights and recommendations to inform future approaches;
- Identify key success metrics (open rates, click through rates, conversion rates etc) and establish suitable contact frequency and engagement rules based on digital audience engagement. Develop an activity schedule to improve the performance of aforementioned KPIS;
- Manage the scheduling, testing and deployment of all customer email campaigns and support Editorial as necessary with newsletter performance ensuring all tracking codes are applied correctly to facilitate accurate performance monitoring;
- Develop and execute a testing roadmap in collaboration with the team to continuously test and learn and drive innovation in our email communications and provide insights back to our Editorial, Marketing and Product teams;
- In collaboration with the Audience Strategy Manager, support on the structure and use of segmentation with Selligent to identify suitable cohorts for campaigns and wider email activity;
- As necessary, work in collaboration with the Data team to develop relevant data segments, based on attributes, interests and demographics;
- Undertake regular database health checks such as user active rates and review domain reputation and deliverability rates. Address any technical issues with the appropriate members of Selligent’s support team and work collaboratively with the Digital Development team and Data teams as required;
- Be a central point of contact across the US business to communicate new email communication initiatives and to share best-practice, results and learnings;
- In collaboration with the CRM Executive, devise and implement suitable trigger based journeys to improve the overall performance of our first-party database and identify new acquisition opportunities based on segment behaviour and performance;
- Supporting the Global CRM Manager, ensure email targets are communicated and work with our ESP (Selligent Marketing Cloud) to develop and deliver the email strategy/roadmap to deliver against targets;
- Challenge performance and demand effective testing, rolling out successes and communicating them across the team;
- Ensure all email marketing activity is compliant with US/Global privacy legislation;
- Maximise our use of Selligent, our ESP within our business, ensuring we are making the most of the platform and as such improving ROI;
- Ensure and hold a thorough understanding of email communication and automated marketing best practice, competitor activity and industry benchmarks.
Performance & reporting
- Track the weekly performance of emails KPI’s against the weekly and monthly targets and communicate the performance of emails to internal stakeholders;
- Working in conjunction with the wider Digital Performance team, continuously produce insights and recommendations based on email recipient engagement levels aligned to agreed Digital KPIs;
- Provide accurate reports and insight suitable for Senior-Manager level consumption. This should include monthly and quarterly reporting to the business on email campaign performance and related metrics.
- Review email communications on a regular basis and identify opportunities for improvements and optimisation, making recommendations and driving testing.
Day to day responsibilities
- Use Selligent Marketing Cloud to create and implement automated email marketing campaigns
- Support the wider team, managing a broad range of high volume campaigns
- Build a wide variety of dynamic and responsive templates within our ESP to support our customer communications lifecycle journeys
- Reporting on campaigns and automated journeys and provide analysis to aid in development and optimisation
- Revenue reporting
- Follow best practice for developing, optimising, testing and implementing email marketing
- Manage email master booking calendar for cadence across the business
- Keep up with competitors and trends in the CRM landscape to contribute ideas towards campaign planning
- Support on data capture and follow up campaigns
- Training for new and existing team members
- Building tracking links and ensuring all emails are tracking correctly
- Work with the subscriptions and data team for correct and optimal segmentation
- Troubleshoot HTML for email rendering issues
- Daily monitoring of automated campaigns
- Ensuring process is followed for booking, delivery and execution of campaigns
- +2 years experience in a CRM / email marketing role
- Passionate about technology and problem solving;
- Good understanding of all digital media and technology;
- Experience in working with agencies and stakeholders in a cross-functional environment;
- Intuitive understanding of customer journeys and relationships and audiences from a customer-first perspective
- Demonstrable qualities in team working, cultural development and challenge.
- Media/publishing experience preferable but not essential;
- Experience using Selligent Marketing Cloud is desirable.
- Basic HTML knowledge is preferable
- High level of enthusiasm, energy, drive to succeed as well as a sense of humour and collaborative approach to working;
- Demonstrate strong organisational skills, initiative and be a self-starter;
- Willing to take risks and challenge the status quo;
- Driven by targets: able to set objectives, implement campaigns for delivery and a catalyst for agile change and mitigation where necessary;
- Strong cross-departmental skills, and ability to inspire and engage brilliantly with marketing, editorial and digital teams;
- Brand affinity and subject interest.
At Dennis, we’re dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in. We’re unique, and so are you. You’ll enjoy a host of benefits and perks when you join us, on top of a satisfying salary. And that’s not all:
- We’re award winning. You will be working across award-winning brands and in award-winning teams and joining a culture where innovation and success are encouraged.
- Our Commitment. We’re very proud to support The Heart of England Forest; an exciting and ambitious charity aiming to plant and preserve the largest native broadleaf forest in England. Founded by our late chairman, Felix Dennis, every employee gets the chance to plant a tree in their name so you can feel part of their vision.
- We’re always thinking of you. You’ll have access to plenty of great benefits such as 28 days holiday, a contributory pension scheme and discounted gym membership.
- We recognise hard work. Have you always dreamed of taking time out of work to travel the world? You’ll be given the opportunity to take a 6 week paid sabbatical after five years service. And if you’re lucky enough to win our Employee of the Year Award you’ll be sent on a holiday of a lifetime to a destination that certainly has the ‘wow’ factor.
Being Brilliantly different is part of our DNA – our success is built upon it. What makes you unique is what makes us unique and we’re proud to foster and promote an environment of inclusivity and a celebration of individuality. Dennis does not discriminate. We recruit purely based on your skills, talent and your potential. If you feel you are right for the role, we’d very much like to hear from you!
Please mention you came from emailtribe when applying to this job!
Something does not look right? 👀 Give us a shout
Our vision is to be the most dynamic media company in the UK. We are dedicated to growing Britain’s best-loved media brands, restlessly innovating across different platforms to bring our audience new sources of inspiration, information and entertainment. Our people are what make Dennis the most dynamic media company...